Khalil El-Saghir, or Mr. K as his students liked to call him, is a father, a veteran, and an educator. He is passionate about providing children all they need to reach their full potential. He is committed to advancing parents' school involvement and engagement as proactive stakeholders and to empowering teachers and support staff. As a member of the Dearborn School Board, Mr. K will be a strong voice for students, parents and school staff.
Who is Khalil El-Saghir?
Mr. K is...
- A husband and a father of two young daughters who attend Dearborn Public Schools.
- A decorated U.S. Army veteran who served during war and peace time.
- An educator for over 18 years, with knowledge and experience, including:
- Teaching K-12 students throughout Wayne County
- Presenting at local and regional conferences and workshops on language development and acquisition, cultural integration, and the use of multimedia and instructional technology in the classrooms
- Organizing educational conferences and workshops and conducting numerous professional development activities
- Conducting research, including collecting and analyzing data to inform decision making and drive instructional activities
- Participating in district, regional, and state committees and cohorts on a wide range of initiatives, including strategic planning, schools funding, and English Learners education.
- A graduate of Henry Ford Community College (Associate in Business), University of Michigan - Dearborn (Bachelor of Business Administration - Management), Wayne State University (Michigan Teaching Certificate, Masters of Arts in Teaching, Education Specialist Certificate in Curriculum & Instruction, ).
- A doctoral candidate in K-12 General Curriculum and Instruction (WSU).
- A member of the AFT Michigan, Local 4479.
- A former law enforcement officer, both in the military (Michigan Army National Guard) and the civilian side (served briefly in the Dearborn Police Reserve).
- An entrepreneur who has been managing a translation business for over two decades.
- A community activist and a member of several educational organizations.
Mr. K is also a strong advocate of technology and the arts. He believes that Dearborn Public Schools has what it takes to be a leader in integrating STEM/STEAM education into its K-12 curriculum and to allocate the needed resources into robotics kits, labs, and clubs for elementary, middle, and high school students. He strongly believes that creativity is at the core of all human endeavors and successes; thus schools should be buzzing with initiatives and activities that foster children's creativity and imagination.
For more about Khalil El-Saghir's professional qualifications, please check his LinkedIn page